I guess there was something very exciting that happened in November. Thanksgiving, which is always something to look forward to (unless you're limiting yourself on food and desserts, which I never do on holidays). We had all of our shopping done for Thanksgiving by Monday night date night. Then on Wednesday evening I unexpectedly had to run out to our new SuperTarget (which is way more convenient than Wal-Mart) to buy a new hand mixer. I guess the kids used it Monday to make something and failed to tell me it was acting funny. So, I got a new one. It was the first day it was super cold outside, so it was very festive.
I just remembered something else exciting that happened! I made two new very good friends. We had to get a new washer and dryer, and I LOVE them. I loved doing laundry anyway, but with my new friends, it brings a whole new joy I never knew I was missing! And not just because I don't have to run the spin cycle 3 times for each load and run the dryer 2 times for each load.
Something very sad (and happy, I guess) also happened. Eric, our kids' good friend, and our good friends' kid, went on a 5-month mission trip to Ecuador. It was a very emotional few days before Thanksgiving when he left us all crying at home while he went off to make a difference in the world. His blog is Eric in Ecuador on my blog home page. He has been really diligent about posting updates, so it's like we're still in touch even though he's so far away.
Back to Thanksgiving. We had Sheldon's family over to our house, where we quickly discovered that we weren't the only ones who secretly made sweet potatoes. His mom and sister-in-law both made them too. They weren't on the menu, so they both decided to bring them. Sheldon's was going to be a surprise, which was surprising! We decided to save Sheldon's for my mom's house on Sunday. (Which we forgot and left at home when Sunday came around. That's funny, too, because it's still in the fridge, and I don't like sweet potatoes.)
Sheldon's brother announced their mom's Christmas present to us, which is a 4-day cruise out of Galveston to Cozumel. She's paying the basic fare for us and the 3 oldest kids, so a lot of us will be going as a giant group next September. That gives us time to save up and buy $100 passports for each of us. (She's actually buying Aaron's and Sydni's, which helps a lot.) That should be fun, as it's something we're excited about doing, but we wouldn't have done it on our own for quite a few more years, I'm sure.
After Thanksgiving was over, we took the kids to Aunt Jill's house to spend the night. Black Friday morning, 3:50 am came quickly. We (Sheldon, Sydni, and I) drove by Target at 4:45, and their were people standing in line outside the front doors in the freezing cold waiting for the 6:00 opening. (I could easily drive by them and think they were crazy, not at all putting myself in the same category as them.) We picked up Jill and went straight to our first destination. I started getting that nervous sick feeling in my stomach that I always get when I'm afraid my special deal will be all snatched up. Luckily, they had everything we went out for. We got some great deals.
One thing I noticed is that an amazing lack of sleep really messes up your brain. We only had about 5 hours of sleep before our 19 1/2 hours of being awake (most of those hours spent shopping). We were delirious by the time it was over. Jill even started getting mean. I know it's hard to believe. MEAN! I know for a fact she only got 4 hours of sleep, so I guess she's forgiven.
Sheldon made the shopping so much more fun. He videotaped quite a bit of the adventures, and even passed out million dollar bills to the sales clerks (after we'd paid for our purchases). I can't wait to watch the video, but I'm afraid he may have accidentally recorded some of our purchases, so they can't be watched by the family until after Christmas.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment